About Us - St. Edward's Mount Dora
A church filled with the Holy Spirit
St. Edward's Episcopal Church, 2019
Click Here to read a more detailed
History of our Parish.
St. Edward’s was organized as a mission on February 5th, 1956. On September 23rd, 1958 the church broke ground for the new building. It was completed February 1959 and the Laying of the Cornerstone took place March 11th, 1959. Easter Day, March 29th, 1959 marked the first service held in the new church. The faceted windows in the choir loft and on each side of the main door were created in 1966. 1967 brought a need for more space. Hartridge Hall and the Sunday School Classes were added. There is a stone in the building which is carved with “A.M.D.G. 1967.” The abbreviation is for the Latin Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam, or “to the greater glory of God.” In 1969, Parish status was achieved.
February 5th, 1974 was a day of special celebration. Free and clear of debt, the church was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. William H. Folwell, Bishop of Central Florida, one of the three dioceses into which South Florida had been divided. The consecration was 18 years to the day of that first worship service in the Hartridge parlor.
As of 2016, the Parish called Reverend Father Mark Lafler as Rector.